Sunday 5 October 2014

We survived Rosso...


Well, we survived the cesspit that is Rosso. I'm not going to talk too much about it as my keyboard won't survive the ordeal, but I can honestly say it was the worst experience of my life. If I had the choice between going through again or spending the night with my mouth open in the gents toilets, posing as a porcelain urinal, I'd choose the latter in a heartbeat.

When we left the border, considerably poorer I might add, we had to ride in the dark - something we said we would never do. Not because we're scared of it, but our lights are to visibility what incontinence is to sex appeal. Still, somehow we made it to the Zebra Bar in Saint-Louis. Along the dirt track, Dee broke her front rack. We got it welded up:


 And then we got the rear racks extended. Not pretty, but functional. Look at my rack!



Then we took a canoe out over the river Senegal to the beach. Lots of crabs. They run away when you try and catch them. I'm like the king of crabs. It's always good to be in control of your crab situation. 

 And bats...
And baboons, which wake you up by thumping on the roof! There is also a picture of me in my pants pretending to be a monkey. I'm not quite sure why that's on there.

 


Now we are in another campsite, this time with internet. Zebra Bar is nice, but it seems a bit silly to not provide internet for what is essentially an overlanders campsite. It's bloody hot here too, with lots of mozzies.

We need to extend our passavants for the bikes somehow and then I think we are going to go to The Gambia before heading to Mali. Not really sure.

Anyway. No more Rosso. Ever.

7 comments:

  1. Nice picture of a Gambian epauletted fruit bat (Epomophorus gambianus) Would you add your photo as a citizen-science observation to the AfriBats project on iNaturalist?:
    http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/afribats

    AfriBats will use your observations to better understand bat distributions and help protect bats in Africa.

    Please locate your picture on the map as precisely as possible to maximise the scientific value of your records.

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As somewhat of a bat expert myself, I can confirm it's actually an Epiliepticus Bastardus Batticus Ebola-us Fangius. Or Brian, for short.

    I've tried clicking on your website, but couldn't locate "Shed by side of river with flies in" so I'm a little stumped.

    Many thanks!
    Oli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Oli, brilliant to chat from peer to peer! If you consider sharing your observation (and many more as you travel around in Africa), just follow these steps and you'll be awarded 46 bat virgins:
    - signup to iNaturalist (you can use your Google account):
    www.inaturalist.org/signup
    - join AfriBats
    www.inaturalist.org/projects/afribats/join
    - share your bat picture by uploading it from your hard drive:
    www.inaturalist.org/observations/new?project_ id=197

    Let me know if you struggle (not in general, just for this one). Cheers, Jakob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jakob,

    iNaturalist sounds like one of those websites where middle-aged men meet up in the woods to play hide the sausage with each other. I'm not sure I'm at that stage of my life yet, but I've saved your email under "Jakob, wants to meet behind the bike sheds" and will be in touch if I change my mind.

    The only pictures I have on my hard drive are those of my testicles, and some of small animals wearing human clothes. I don't have any of the two combined so fear you may be disappointed with my submissions.

    Cheers, Oli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never mind the bollocks - you're completely right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a primate 'expert'. Those are patas monkeys rather than baboons :)

    Keep up the good work and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Primate expert"

    ...

    Isn't that how aids started?

    ReplyDelete